The Shoat Statements

Random musings by the multiple voices inside my head.

I'm proud of the fact that I've not eaten meat for the last 7 years or so. Haven't applied for the halo yet, since I'm having difficulty giving up fish, but I have cut down on the frequency in which it features in my meals. I didn't give up meat for any religious reason. I happened to sit inside a bus daily, and watch caged chickens in Pettah, waiting to be killed. And I figured that that chicken feels the same pain my dog would, were I to slaughter her. Of course, giving up what I had got used to took some time - I carefully planned a system so that I could give it all up sequentially.

Nowadays, I get really annoyed by people's reactions. When I go out with people to eat, they're surprised at my not eating meat. Of course, it's cloaked with respect when they ask if it's due to religious beliefs, but all that disappears when I say that it's because I feel sorry for the animals, and we don't need to kill them when we have plenty else to eat. The scorn and disbelief I face is incredible - and it irritates the living daylights out of me. Why should I be made feel inferior for taking the higher road?

Sillier still are the excuses they then feel compelled to make for themselves. I've heard excuses such as 'I can go without meat for a week, but I feel sick if I don't have it after that/just can't go longer without it'. Are they crazy? Meat doesn't have nicotine, you know? What's there to get addicted over? Why not just be honest and say 'I eat it because I like it'? If anyone really wanted to stop, they could. It just takes strong will power.

I'm not a radical member of PETA, and I'm not one to make a fuss if people eat meat in my presence, but it would be nice if they were honest as to why they do it, and even better if they didn't have an issue with my eating habits.

The most annoying thing though, is when they try to justify it. Animals don't feel the pain, they say. They don't realise they'll be killed, so it doesn't make a difference, they say. If animals feel pain, then so must the plants. These are all bizarre, sublime & ridiculous justifications I've heard.

In that light, I'd like to touch upon The Exorcist, the classic horror film (and book), that still has the power to scare you. Given below is a scene (the only one I could find), where the priest is actually fighting with the demon to exorcise it. Listen carefully to the sound effects, even if you can't bear to watch the video itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XcX5dG4eJ4

You know what was used for the sound of the devil screaming? Of it being tortured out of Regan McNeil's body?

That, my friends, is the cry of pigs being taken to the slaughterhouse.

Need I say more?

2 comments:

aaah good topic :)
I've been a vegetarian from the days i could remember "me" as a person with certain amount freedom from my parents but had to give it up when i was about 16 after many advices from many doctors since i was supposedly weak :)
I'm still a major veggie person but i do have meats once in a while :(

But i also do hate the whole chicken transport affair... You see one of those trucks on the road and look those chicken and you wouldn't want to eat meat for a very long time... I always overtake those vehicles as fast as i can out of selfish reasons :(
It's pretty sickening :(
I've seen the way butchers kill chicken in their shops and drop the headless carcass as it still struggles to where the "next to be killed" chicken are awaiting their fate... :(
pretty sick stuff...

But practically speaking... I think meat eaters will always be there and it's their call to be what they want to be... what they must do is that minimize the agony and pain suffered by those creatures and not get away by saying no those animals are dumb and they don't feel pain like we do etc etc

But then again...I'm into fishing... and that's also not exactly very animal friendly though i let the boatman do the "killing" part... selfish again. But i admit to the fact that i'm a class A, A.hole for doing that :(
human weaknesses????

I agree - meat eaters will always be there, and it's their duty to make sure the process is not agonizing or painful.

However, what I wanted to talk about was the hypocrisy that some of these guys show, when they try to defend themselves, instead of just being honest about it.

That, and how annoyd I am at how they belittle us wannabe veggies!

About Me

My photo
Be true to your heart, and true to your conscience.

Blog Archive

Stat Counter


View My Stats

World Top Blogs

World Top Blogs - Blog TopSites

Technorati