The Shoat Statements

Random musings by the multiple voices inside my head.

Occasionally, government offices pleasantly surprise you. I went to renew my vehicle registration and given past experience, took copies of everything in triplicate. When I arrived at the Divisional Secretariat, there was big bold sign stating that vehicle registration renewals were to be done between 9 a.m. and 12 p.m. The time now was 12.15 p.m. I walked in anyway.

A rather crotchety looking lady looked at me from the counter. I told her I had come for renewing the vehicle registration, and I saw her immediately looking at her watch. 'Give the papers,' said she. I put on my dumbest blond smile, and asked for the form. 'What form?', she asked. Apparently, everything was computerised, and one needed to only give the NIC, previous registration and ownership document along with the money.

In less than 10 minutes, I walked out with my renewed registration certificate, followed by a gentleman who was almost as stupefied as I was due to the speedy and simple process we both just went to.

Occasionally, our government offices actually do find ways to improve themselves and provide us with a better service. Lets hope the good work continues.

2 comments:

Thank heavens for computers, lets hope they maintain this level of service.

The optimist in me sees Sri Lanka becoming the most efficient nation in Asia within the decade. The realist (note: not cynic, realist) thinks its only a matter of time before the place gets downed by some red tape and/or the usual corrupt staff.

About Me

My photo
Be true to your heart, and true to your conscience.

Blog Archive

Stat Counter


View My Stats

World Top Blogs

World Top Blogs - Blog TopSites

Technorati