The Shoat Statements

Random musings by the multiple voices inside my head.

Was chatting with a friend and recommending her some books she should read, and ended up giving her my top ten 'must reads'. All things considered, I thought I'd post the list here, while rejuvenating my blog.

Back to the list. This is a rather varied list, jumping continents, time periods and genres, but it is my top ten favourite reads, and probably forms the books I would take with me onto a deserted island. They are in random order, but are my absolute favourites, and I've read each of them more than a few times.

The changes I made is replacing  'Crime and Punishment' with number 6, because while I would put the former on  for a reading list, I prefer the latter book and replacing 'Beloved' by Toni Morrison with number 9. Doubtless ' Beloved' is the better book, but it just is not a book I would want on an deserted island with me - it will certainly give me more nightmares than any demon ever could. Besides, I love 'The Exorcist' waaaay too much not to include it here.

Feel free to add your own recommendations.

The List (in random order):

  1. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
  2. Sophie's World - Jostein Garder
  3. Hamlet - Shakespeare
  4. Satanic Verses - Salman Rushdie
  5. One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  6. The Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  7. Foucault's Pendulumn - Umberto Eco
  8. The Moor's Last Sigh - Salman Rushdie
  9. The Exorcist - William Peter Blatty
  10. The New York Trilogy - Paul Auster

9 comments:

hmm... off the top of my head

Captain Corelli's Mandolin - Louis de Bernieres
Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
Songs of Distant Earth - Arthur C. Clarke
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell - Susanna Clarke

Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
A thousand Splendid suns - Khaled Hosseini
Princess - Jean Sasson
Memoirs of a geisha - Arthur Golden

Harry Potter 1, Harry Potter 5
Lord of the Rings 1,2,3 - Tolkein
Foundation Series By Issac Assimov
Rama and Rama 2 by Arthur C. Clarke

Thanks all...but Harry Potter? Acromantula, you can do better than that, surely?

Oh boy looks like i have a lot of reading to do.....

:)

You don't have to. But I think you'll find them really interesting.

I have a long list on the sidebar of my blog of all the books I've read over the past couple years (the ones I have liked, anyway/)

If you're soft in the head about animals, as am I, you might like:

--The good good pig : the extraordinary life of Christopher Hogwood Sy Montgomery

And how about a little Canadiana?

--Crow Lake by Mary Lawson

-The Other Side of the Bridge Mary Lawson

--Fruit by Brian Francis (about a boy whose nipples talk to him)

--The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill

--All That Matters by Wayson Choy

And just a lovely book:

--The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

ANd of course, you could always read books by Sri Lankan - Canadian Michael Ondaatje! :)

PS: The new blog design is extremely cool! That's not a blogger template, is it? Surely it's a custom design?

Thanks Knatolee - it certainly isn't a blogger template! I found it on the internet.

About Me

My photo
Be true to your heart, and true to your conscience.

Blog Archive

Stat Counter


View My Stats

World Top Blogs

World Top Blogs - Blog TopSites

Technorati